Associate Priest for Christian Education and Community Engagement
Job Posting: Associate Priest for Christian Education and Community Engagement
The Anglican Parish of Christ Church, Edmonton
Who we are as a Church
The Anglican Parish of Christ Church is a vibrant city church with a growing children’s ministry, a heart for social justice and community outreach, and a congregation of engaged and thoughtful individuals who desire to express their faith in the Gospel of Jesus through tangible action in the service of others. We are located on Treaty Six territory in the heart of central Edmonton’s Oliver neighbourhood, which is one of the most densely populated and diverse areas in the city. Our physical footprint downtown is blessed with extensive grounds that are well-used by the public. As we look to the future, it is our desire to reach out to the young adults who live around us and who wander through our gardens almost every day.
Christ Church has a dynamic, experienced, full-time Rector whose passion for ministry with children and food security have seen these areas of ministry grow in the last five years. The clergy team also includes two non-stipendiary deacons who give leadership in various areas of church life, and two honourary assistants who are either retired from full time ministry or are presently serving outside of parish-based roles.
We are additionally blessed with a very strong base of lay ministers who are committed to the life and work of the parish and are engaged in areas of evangelism, parish connection, community outreach, theological teaching, grounds maintenance and stewardship initiatives.
We have an intentional community of young adults who live in the Rectory and engage in community service, prayer and learning throughout the year.
Our Sunday worship is rooted in a rich liturgical tradition and includes an early morning Book of Common Prayer service as well as a family-friendly service from the Book of Alternative Services.
Our five-year parish plan includes:
- A focus on adult Christian education
- Community outreach and advocacy work
- Intentional relationship building within the church and with our community
- Worship space as place of gathering, community and contemplation
- Strengthening parish governance and infrastructure
Who We are Hoping Will Join Us in Ministry
This is an exciting time at Christ Church. Our parish is growing! Our Rector and team of clergy and lay leaders has laid excellent foundations that are now bearing good fruit. We believe it is time to invite another partner to join the team who will share with the Rector in supporting these ongoing and thriving ministries while also bringing their own complementary gifts of leadership to other emerging ministry areas.
Christ Church is specifically seeking an individual who will help us foster our parish goals and expand our reach into the community.
Personal characteristics of the kind of person we believe we are looking for include:
- Someone who has an active life of prayer, faith, and service
- A person who takes initiative and sees projects through to completion
- A creative, outside-the-box thinker who can identify and initiate new ways of engaging with parishioners during isolation times
- Someone who is gifted in areas of teaching, pastoral care, and community engagement
- A person that is able to build and maintain strong pastoral relationships
- Willingness to make a three to five-year commitment to the work of the parish
As Associate Priest, areas of primary responsibility will be focused on the following ministries:
- New ministry to young adults in the Oliver neighbourhood
- Support the students in our intentional community and the volunteer leadership team
- Welcome Team ministry to parish newcomers
- Adult Christian Education
- Tween and Teen Ministry oversight
- Baptismal and Eucharistic preparation for adults and families
- Food Security Ministries
Areas of secondary responsibilities shared with and in support of the Rector include:
- Regular ministrations of the clergy (weddings, funerals, and baptisms)
- Weekly Holy Eucharist services and monthly Senior’s Home service (The Canterbury Foundation)
- Regular share in preaching through all seasons of the Church year
- Pastoral care, home, and hospital visitation
Applicants are asked to outline how their knowledge, skills, and experience align with the vision and goals of Christ Church (specifically the five priority areas listed above). Your response should be between 700 and 1500 words in length.
We also ask for a current CV, along with a list of references who can speak to your effectiveness in your previous roles. Applications will be reviewed after April 25, 2022 (posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.)
Applications can be sent to The Right Reverend Stephen London (firstname.lastname@example.org)