Christ Church was established on April 1st, 1909, at the home of Mrs. F.S. O’Connor, where Anglican residents of West Edmonton met to discuss the need for a second Anglican church on the north side of the river.
Land was purchased from the Hudson’s Bay Company, and the first Christ Church was built only blocks away from where our current building stands.
Today’s Christ Church was built in 1920 based on the design of architect and church member W.G. Blakey, and stands on land that had previously been used as a skating rink and tennis court. The clubhouse became the rectory (now Ascension House), and as the church community grew the hall was added and later expanded. It was Blakey, along with his brother and partner R.P Blakey, who designed many of the gifts and memorials that were later installed in the church.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.